[Rkhunter-users] Warning: Hidden file found: /sbin/.cryptsetup.hmac: ASCII text
Doug Parsons
2012-04-07 15:50:08 UTC
Hi.
Since I upgraded from CentOS 5.4 to 6, I've got a problem with rkhunter
with this warning.
I've tried to fix it, but cannot; I assume I'm missing something obvious,

I followed instructions trying to fix this from various forums, the
latest from y'all.

I created /etc/rkhunter.conf.local with one line
USER_FILEPROP_FILES_DIRS="/sbin/.cryptsetup.hmac"
(I copied the line from the normal .conf, took out the (#) and
substituted this filename.)

When the error was there next run, I then did a
$ rkhunter --propupd
but I still get the error when I run it.

I thought y'all recommended making the local file rather than modify
yours, and that this would 'white-list' this 'error'.

btw
$ rkhunter --version
Rootkit Hunter 1.3.8

Questions:
Got this since the upgrade, so I'm leery of just 'getting rid of the
error' as I suspect y'all would have done the right thing and this is a
real error and not a false positive.

I have no interest cryptsetup, it just happened in the upgrade. I may,
later.
Perhaps I should just delete it, but I don't know if there would be
unintended consequences.

What to do ?

-doug
--
The greatest danger for most of us is
not that our aim is too high and we miss it,
- Michelangelo
u***@hushmail.com
2012-04-07 16:23:21 UTC
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 17:50:08 +0200 Doug Parsons
<***@parsonsetc.com> wrote:

There's a few white listing examples for HMAC in your
/etc/rkhunter.conf in the "ALLOWHIDDENFILE" section.

Regards,
unSpawn
---